Thursday 17 August 2017

POST - How To Deal With It - Most Common Questions

The most common questions I get asked are - What do you do about your post and what do you do about an address?

There are a number of different options available to anyone who wants to have their post held or redirected whilst they are away full timing. It really does depend on each person's individual circumstances.

But trust me, there is always a way to get things done, you just have to think a little bit different than the average person!

So, how did I go about having my mail delivered to me whilst I was full timing in my caravan?


All the time I was full timing I stayed within a geographical area due to work commitments, if you intend to travel for extended periods there are other options later which I will tell you about as we go.

Quite simply, when I first started full timing I initially set up a Post Office re-direct to my parents house.

I was lucky enough that they were happy for me to do this, but to be honest I had at least a dozen others who were happy for this to happen. All you have to do is ask!

I would visit on a regular basis and collect my mail, if something looked urgent, my parents would put it in a jiffy bag and repost to either my work address or my partners work address.

Your company should be ok with this as long as A) you ask their permission and B) you don't make it a regular habit.

Once again, I was lucky that I could have things sent to my work with no problems at all.

You are not committing any crime by doing this, you are just getting your mail redirected.

After 3 months I had informed all the relevant companies of my new address and all the junk mail, well I’m afraid that is still probably going to my old address!


Banks and insurance companies like to have an address, they will not accept PO box style addresses.

So the above option was the way forward. You simply need to find someone who is willing to have your mail delivered to their address. Relative, friend, etc, think long and hard, we all know someone who would help.

Redirects from the Royal Mail can be for 3, 6 or 12 months, all with a cost. For further information click on the link - Royal Mail Redirect.

If you find that you are having difficulties with using a redirect service there is something from the Royal Mail called “KeepSafe” they hold your mail for a certain period of time until you collect it.

The length of time does appear a little strange as they are set at 17, 24, 31 and 66 days, all with a cost ranging from £14.00 for 17 days to £45.30 for 66 days.

The only thing with this service is that you do need to have an address to be able to subscribe to this service. For further information click on the link Royal Mail KeepSafe.

Whilst full timing I stayed on a few sites where they were happy for me to have packages delivered, but once again, you do need to have built up a really good relationship with the site owners before you ask.

If you have an address but you do not want your mail to go there then there is a PO box service operated by the Royal Mail. Click on the link for further information Royal Mail PO BOX


There is another option that is slightly cheaper than the Royal Mail and that is a company called Mail Boxes Etc. There are a number of these types of companies around but this is probably the most well known and respected company.

Once more you do need to have an address and proof of id for you to open an account with them. For further information please check out their website at www.mbe.co.uk

Having an address is important in this day and age, there really isn't any way of getting out of it unless you are totally happy to live off grid!

Please feel free to contact me at joolsmauro@gmail.com with any specific questions, I'm not brilliant at replying straight away but will get there in the end!


No comments:

Post a Comment