Monday 5 March 2012

We Are At A New Site!

We moved on Friday!


It's been a little while since we have moved, in fact it's been 3 months. We took advantage of the 28 day rule to the max, and left our caravan on site, but was off site for the minimum 48hrs. Doing this twice saved us all the hassle of packing up and moving.


However, we wanted to be closer to "M"s kids so earlier in the year we took a look at a few sites and picked a select handful, which met our criteria, which is basically, cheap and clean!


We are now not far from either New Milton or Lymington, with both being about the same distance away.


The move went well, and as we were in no rush before we left our old site we gave our caravan a full scrub down with a hose and bobby dazzler. She looks lovely and clean now!


The trip down gave us no problems apart from an idiot overtaking us with traffic coming towards us. I think he got a bit of a shock when he realised exactly how long we are when hooked up!


You may think that this sort of road incident was by a novice driver with too much testosterone and not enough horse power, but it was actually a guy in his late fifties with grey hair!


Well, we pulled up on site, and met the owner, a nice chap who  "M" had spoken to on the phone, we paid for a week, as we wanted to keep our option's open as it's a new site. We may not like it here!


Settled in we set up, including the big awning which was a bit of a struggle as it was windy, the other thing was the caravan is on the level but the awning slopes up. So not the best situation to be in.


This site has two toilets and a shower, so once all was done I went off to suss out the shower. As some of you may know, these showers seem to have a life of their own. So armed with a couple of 20p bits I headed off in my dressing gown, flap flips, towel and wash gear. 


I must point out at this stage that it was now dark outside. The shower cubicle had a door that led directly from outside to a cubicle, so once in it was complete darkness. I pulled what I thought was the light cord, nothing! Open the door, check around, no other switches to be found. Ok, shower in the dark then! 20p in the slot and "Let There Be Light" the light comes on!


So we now have light, but I can see that there is a count down timer and its reading 2m 45s - Ive lost 15 seconds of valuable hot water. Next suss the shower as I can now see what I'm doing, temperature set, checked and it's ok, 2m 10s remaining! Ive still got my robe on, so by the time Ive hung up my robe I'm down to 1m 48s.


But at least the light is bright and the water is hot. At this point I decided to find the other 20p bit out and insert it in, yes, a full 3 mins of hot water.


Once I had scrubbed all necessary parts, the time was getting on, I was interested to see what exactly happened at the end of the 3 mins. My guess was that it would just gradually go cold.


Was I in for a surprise! 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - The first thing that happened was that I went from a blinding bright light to being plunged into complete and utter darkness, closely followed by the water turning from scalding hot, to freezing cold in the time it takes to say, "What The F***"! Trying to turn a freezing cold shower off in the pitch dark whilst being stood underneath it is not good for the soul! The only thing the shower cubicle didn't do was throw me out stark bollock naked! I nearly spent another 20p just to so I could see what I was doing!


Being the tight git that I am I didn't, instead I fumbled around in the dark, dried myself off, and marched back to the caravan feeling rather refreshed. All though I will try and get a shower before it get's dark in future, which is exactly what I'm off to do now!


Till later...........................

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I really liked your story, as well as the idea of moving about in a caravan. In fact, I had an acquaintance who's parents sold everything they had after retiring and set out on the road in the U.S.A. for 5 years.

    As for the shower, I have been there and done that. I have traveled 30 plus countries and invariably the shower is always a new experience. At 20p for three minutes of hot water, you don't have much time to enjoy.

    I am currently in the Philippines touring and writing. Here, you are lucky to have hot water at all.

    I am going to follow you and enjoy your stories of life on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your reports. And Springs nearly here! I envy you on a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just goes to prove Jools you are never too old to learn new tricks. I could picture the scene perfectly by your discription. Sorry to hear about the Bailey deal not going through but I'm a big believer in fate and I'm sure you'll find the perfect lay out you want in a caravan in the future. Hope the driving is going well - Regards from JHQ

    ReplyDelete