We have sort of come to a cross roads!
To bring you up to date, and for the benefit of any new readers who have tagged along for our journey through life. We are a mid 40's couple who have no dependents, just "China" dog.
We sold up in August 2010 and bought an all singing and dancing Lunar Lexon 640 twin axle caravan with a fixed island bed.
With a full size awning, two 4x4's and both working full time, we live in our caravan, moving from site to site in the New Forest area of Southern England.
Back at the start of the year I took my bus/coach driving test and started driving buses for a living. We wanted to be nearer "M"s family so moved down to the Lymington and New Milton area.
I then got a transfer (which goes ahead later in July) to Lymington, this then cuts out a 60 mile round trip to work every day for me! Instead I will have a 10 minute journey. Not only that but with moving to this new company it gives me a minimum extra £100.00 a week pay rise, so a good deal all round.
Now the dilemma we have, is that on one of the sites that we have been staying at we have been offered a static caravan for rent, which actually costs us less than our site fee's!
The static caravan is on it's on, secluded and over looks a field and the camp site. Its a few years old, so not in the best of condition, but it appears solid enough, with electric on a meter and gas via propane bottles with a hot water on demand boiler.
It's a one bedroom caravan, with a kitchen dining area, sitting room and bathroom with shower. The outside has a decked area and some rather overgrown shrubs!
We have worked out the figures and with having to pay for electricity, budgeted well above what we would use and gas usage it all works out about even. But to be honest you never really know the true cost till you start using it! Up till that point it's pure guess work.
So, do we curtail our nomadic existence for the present time and become rooted or do we continue as we are in our caravan?
After all this is the area we want to be in for the next few years.
Pro's and Con's
For moving into the static caravan
We would have more room!
Running water/flush loo/shower.
Not have to keep moving on.
It has a secluded decking area.
We would not have to worry each time it gets windy that the awning will collapse!
Being able to go away at weekends.
Less wear and tear on our caravan.
For staying as we are
Loss of lifestyle
Feeling as if we have taken an easy option if we do move in.
The kitchen requires a bit of work.
We will not be selling the caravan, that will remain on site. At the moment we have not had a weekend away for months. The problem being once you are all set up with the large awning it is a bit of a bugger to pack it all up for a couple of days away. We even said recently that it might be a good idea to buy a really cheap 2 berth caravan for weekends!
If the caravan is sat there ready to hook up, I'm sure we would get away even for just a night!
We have to remind ourselves why we started this in the first place, it wasn't some romantic idea to drop out of society and go green. It was purely financial.
Now, after working out the figures and taking everything into account, it does suggest that moving into the static caravan seems a good idea.
Personally, I'm warming to the idea, not having to worry about the weather is one of the biggest things for me. If we did not have the awning up I wouldn't worry at all, but with our monster awning then it does become a problem.
As I write, it's the middle of summer, and the wind is battering our awning, and this is the summer! What the heck is winter going to be like, and it is only just around the corner! Living only a couple of miles from the coast, the wind was one thing I did not consider when we moved here.
From a financial point of view, it works out around even, I would even say that it comes in just under what we are currently paying.
All this suggests that it is a good idea. We have both said, "Why not try it" "What have we got to loose"? if we hate it, we just go back to the caravan!
So with that in mind, we are off to speak to the owner later on and see if we can do a deal.
I would be interested to hear what you have to say though, the more opinions the better so don't hold back!