Friday, 15 August 2014

1st Night In VW25 aka "Duckie"

With the kids at their Dad's and Kiera off, myself on a late start, it would be an opportunity missed if we did not spend the night in "Duckie"

So to save on a bit of time, that afternoon I rustled up a spaghetti bolognase so all that was required would be to reheat it and cook a pan of pasta later.

Living in this part of the world we are very lucky to have a choice of where to stay for the night. No campsites for us now we have "Duckie" - just wild camp where it is safe to do so!

Wild camping or freedom camping is when you pull into a secluded or out of the way spot and spend the night. Generally the authorities turn a blind eye as long as you are not causing an obstruction or doing anything stupid.

We decided on Keyhaven Marsh, looking out towards Hurst Castle and the Isle of Wight.

We finally pulled in around 2000hrs and within seconds we were opening a beer and relaxing. A bit different than pulling up in a caravan! Handbrake on and the jobs done! We did "pop" the roof up though!

We had pulled in front of a Hymer camper leaving plenty of space, and apart from them, there was a handful of cars parked further along.

Not long after parking up as I was getting the tea on a guy walked up to us and said "Are you planning on spending the night here"? quickly I replied no, just chilling. I didn't want to give the game away!

However, what I didn't realise was that he was from the Hymer! He told me that the tide comes in and up and over the road so unless we move around the corner to higher ground we may end up with wet feet!

Realising who he was now, I thanked him for his kindness in letting us know. Flooding "Duckie" on her maiden voyage would not of been a good start.

So once dinner was had, we drove around the corner and parked up on level ground.

Time then for a quick walk out on the spit with a blanket and a bottle of wine. Here we spent an hour watching the lights of boats pass between the spit and the Isle of Wight and also the moon rise up over the spit. Glorious, and a wonderful way to spend an evening!

Back to the camper for a mug of hot chocolate and set the bed up which took all of 3 mins!

With the curtains pulled round it felt snug and cosy.

A good nights sleep followed and a lazy start to the day with tea and bacon rolls!

Three camper cans stayed at this location, this included us. If anyone wants the precise location and directions to it, please feel free to email me and I'll guide you to it.

Till later................

No comments:

Post a Comment